Asking your girls to be your bridesmaids is a huge deal. It’s an honor for them to be a part of your special day, and it’s an honor for you to have a great group of friends that are willing to embark on this journey with you. Sometimes it can get confusing about who plays what role in your wedding party, which is why we are here to help you figure it all out.
Maid/Matron of Honor (MOH): So really quickly, in case you didn’t know the difference between a Maid of Honor and a Matron of Honor, is that the Matron is married while the Maid is not. That’s pretty much it. All the duties are relatively the same. The MOH is part wedding planner, part shoulder to cry on. The Knot has a great list of duties that the MOH should perform but here is ours:
1. Be the go-to girl that has the information for the other bridesmaids (ex: when the bridal shower is, when the bachelorette party is, etc).
2. Help the bride go dress shopping for her wedding dress and for the bridesmaids dresses.
3. Assist the bride in stuffing envelopes for invitations.
4. Have a list of names and what they gifted the bride and groom during the bridal shower so that the bride can send out thank you cards.
5. Plan the bachelorette party.
6. Attend as many pre-wedding parties as you can.
7. Help the bride get dressed for the wedding.
8. Hold her bouquet during the ceremony as well as hold on to the grooms ring.
9. Be the witness alongside the best man when the bride and groom sign the marriage license.
10. Listen: be there for the bride when she needs a shoulder to cry on, or just someone to talk to.
Bridesmaid: Although their duties aren’t as great as that of the Maid/Matron of Honor, bridesmaids are a big part of the wedding as well. Here are some duties that bridesmaids fulfill:
1. Help the MOH plan, cohost any of the parties ie, bridal shower, bachelorette party, etc.
2. Ask to help with any pre-wedding planning like helping to pick out wedding colors, or coming up with a music playlist to give the DJ.
3. Try to attend as many pre-wedding parties as you can.
4. Help out during the day of… get water or junk food for the bride, try to calm her nerves, just be happy and upbeat!
5. Attend the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
6. Dance and have fun at the wedding! The more fun you have, the more people will have fun right along side you.
7. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Planning a wedding can be stressful and some brides might take their stress out on you. Try not to take things personally and remember that after everything is said and done, this is your friends big day.
Remember to HAVE FUN! A wedding is just a giant party where everyone comes together to celebrate a couples love for one another. As part of the bridal party you are there every step of the way. Relax, enjoy yourselves and remember it’s all worth it in the end 🙂
Source: The Knot